This comfort food recipe for chicken noodle casserole takes everyone’s favorite feel better soup and transforms it into a hearty pot pie supper.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 8 ounce package thin (also called fine) egg noodles
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded into bite sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a casserole with cooking spray.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add breadcrumbs and stir until golden. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and melt over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and sauté until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir. Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the noodles and until the noodles are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and half and half.
- Pour the chicken and noodle mixture into the casserole and top with the breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling, about 30 minutes, and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!