This easy recipe for chicken ham macaroni soup with tomatoes adds a little cheese and herbs for a lunchtime favorite that is brimming with flavor!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups chicken broth (I like Imagine and Pacific brands)
- 1 cup white wine (you can sub in another cup of chicken broth if you prefer)
- 3 large boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes with their juice
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put the oil, garlic and thyme into a large pot, turn heat to medium high and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Mix in tomato paste. Add chicken broth and wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken, cover pot and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove chicken to plate and let cool. Add the chopped tomatoes and the macaroni to the pot and simmer for 12 minutes or until the macaroni is tender.
- While the macaroni is cooking, shred chicken into bite sized pieces and return to pot. Stir in the cooked macaroni and the chopped ham and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with parsley and cheese and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!