This comfort food recipe for cheesy bacon corn soup is full of veggie goodness, with some bacon and cheese for extra flavor!
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- Kernels from two ears of corn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a heavy deep pot until crispy. Scoop it out and drain it on a paper towel, leaving the drippings in the pot.
- Add the butter to the drippings and melt over medium high heat. Add the onions and celery and stir until they are beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until it is mixed in. Add the potatoes, then pour in the broth and the half and half. Give everything a good stir and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Using either an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until it is smooth. Return it to the pot.
- Stir in the corn and simmer for 2-3 more minutes. Turn the heat down to low and add the cheese, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted. Stir in the cooked bacon. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with scallions and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying (without any extra cost to you)! Thanks for using them to keep our kitchen cooking…xoxo!