This savory recipe for Caprese French Toasts takes this Italian classic salad and transforms it into lunch!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices soft bread (like brioche or challah)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved, or 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup basil, sliced, plus extra for garnish
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Put the milk, oregano, salt, pepper and eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk it all up briskly until well combined. Pour the milk mixture into a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Cut the bread slices on the diagonal and lay them in the pan with the milk mixture for a minute or two, then turn them over so they get to soak up all the liquid.
- Heat the butter on a griddle or in a large skillet over medium high heat until melted.
- Lay the bread slices on the griddle or skillet and cook until they are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Now to assemble! Put the caprese together as follows: Slice of bread, slice or two of cheese, slice of bread, slice or two of cheese until each plate has 4 half slices of bread with cheese in between.
- Scatter the cherry tomatoes on top (or if you are using large sliced tomatoes, you can tuck them in between the cheese and bread).
- Sprinkle with basil and drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and serve it up!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying (without any extra cost to you)! Thanks for using them to keep our kitchen cooking…xoxo!