Turn your favorite summer salad into a warm and wonderful tomato and mozzarella filled treat with this easy recipe for caprese bread pudding!
- 5 slices brioche or other soft bread, torn into pieces (see note)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, the best you can find, sliced thinly
- Handful of basil leaves
- Sea salt
- Balsamic vinegar
- Beat eggs and milk together. Stir in bread and mix until bread is well-soaked with the milk mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter a tart pan or pie plate. Press the bread mixture onto the bottom, making sure the bottom of the pan is fully covered.
- Place overlapping slices of tomato and cheese all around the bread layer. Bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with sea salt and scatter basil leaves on top. Cut into wedges and serve.
You can usually find brioche bread in the bakery section of your supermarket, but honestly, any soft bread will work just fine!