This simple and scrumptious recipe for Vermont cheddar caprese sandwiches turns your favorite summer salad into a lunchtime sandwich treat!
- 4 slices sourdough or other hearty bread
- 4 teaspoons pesto
- 4 ounces sharp Vermont cheddar cheese, sliced thinly
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 16 basil leaves, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet that you have lined with foil Spread each slice with a tablespoon of pesto.
- Put a layer of cheese, then a layer of tomato, then a layer of cheese on each piece of bread.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven, turn on the broiler, and broil until the cheese is melty, watching carefully the whole time.
- Remove from oven, garnish with chopped basil and fresh ground pepper and serve!