This easy recipe for Chicken Tot Pie takes one of your favorite comfort food suppers and makes it even tastier with a Tater Tot topping!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (or 2 cups cooked shredded chicken)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ pound frozen Tater Tots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots (cut any bigger ones in half)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or a silicone mat.
- Put the chicken breasts in a pot. Add one cup of the chicken broth, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes (it should read 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer). Once the chicken is cool enough, shred it up either with your fingers, two forks, or this handy-dandy shredder that we love.
- While the chicken is simmering, put the Tater Tots on the baking sheet and cook until crispy, about 15 minutes. Take them out but leave that oven on.
- Put the butter in a large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté until the carrots are just starting to get tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the poultry seasoning and flour and stir until mixed, then pour in the second cup of chicken broth and the half and half. Simmer until it starts to thicken, about 3-5 minutes, and then stir in the shredded chicken. If it gets too thick, loosen it up with a little more chicken broth. Give it a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a casserole dish and top it with the Tater Tots. Pop the casserole back into the oven until the chicken mixture is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5-10 minutes and then scoop it out, making sure everyone gets their fair share of Tots!