This easy recipe for cheesy Southern spoonbread is a cross between a cornbread and a custard, and is the perfect comfort food side dish!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 and spray an 8 inch baking pan with cooking spray (round or square both work fine!)
- Put the cornmeal in a pot with 1 ½ cups of water and the salt. Simmer over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the cornmeal has soaked up the water.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter until it is melted. Now switch to a whisk and whisk in first the milk and then the eggs.
- Stir in the cheese and use a spatula to transfer all this spoon bread batter goodness to your pan. Bake for 45 minutes until it is a lovely golden color. Remove and serve it up with (you guessed it) a spoon!