Billi Bi is an elegant and delicious soup made of mussels, cream, white wine and eggs. This easy recipe is perfect for a special occasion winter meal, or any time you want a deeply satisfying soup!
- 2 pounds mussels, rinsed well (discard any that are opened or have broken shells)
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Put the mussels in a large pot and add the shallots, wine, butter, thyme, bay leaf and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until the mussels have all opened, about 10 minutes.
- Toss out any unopened mussels. Pour the contents of the pot through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and save for the soup.
- When the mussels are cool enough, take the meat out of the shells and set aside. Toss out the shells and any other solids left over in the strainer.
- Put the reserved liquid into a pot and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Stir in the cream and return to a simmer for a minute, then take the pot off the burner.
- Whisk in the egg and put the pot back on the burner over low heat until the soup thickens just a bit. Stir in mussel meat. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley and fresh ground pepper and serve.