This speedy recipe for balsamic blue cheese steak with spinach is a one dish supper that is full of flavor and easy to put together!
The Southern husband and I don’t eat a lot of steak, so when we do I want to make sure it is both packed with flavor and reasonably good for us, as red meat goes, and I’m delighted to announce that this easy peasy recipe for balsamic blue cheese steak with spinach checks all those boxes!
And not only that, it goes from opening the fridge to sitting down in front of your glorious steak dinner in about 20 minutes. Bonus points!
And at this point, I need to give a shout-out to skirt steak. I am only vaguely knowledgeable about what is what in terms of cuts of beef – I know that tenderloins are fabulous, and that chuck steaks need to spend quality time in the slow cooker.
And I’m not sure what possessed me to try skirt steak…but I did, and I am here to tell you that it has a rich flavor and is the ideal combo of tender and substantial. (Don’t I sound like a steak expert? Ha!)
So now that I have amazed you with all my steak knowledge, let’s talk balsamic blue cheese steak with spinach!
Here’s how you make balsamic blue cheese steak with spinach!
This is basically like a super simple steak salad, only warm and wonderful. You are going to cook up that skirt steak you have procured until it is done the way you like it – we like ours on the rare side. If you have a cast iron skillet, it was BORN for this.
Now let the steak rest while you use that same skillet to sauté some baby spinach in the steak drippings. YUMMMMM.
Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on to the spinach.
(Side note: my sweet son-in-law and I were just discussing the magical qualities of balsamic vinegar. Sweet, tangy, a little syrupy…it adds an incredible flavor. Yes, he cooks. Just one of the 293,573 things I adore about him.)
Once your spinach is cooked up, slice the steak across the grain. Arrange a nice bed of spinach on each plate, nestle the sliced steak on top, sprinkle on some crumbled blue cheese and another drizzle of vinegar.
Entertain your fellow diners with all your new-found steak knowledge.
Or not. :)
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
This speedy recipe for Balsamic Blue Cheese Steak With Spinach is a one dish supper that is full of flavor and easy to put together!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 eight ounce skirt steak
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, room temperature
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the steak and cook for 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove and let the steak rest while you are making the spinach.
- Add the spinach to the same skillet with the steak drippings. Toss over medium heat until wilted. Drizzle on 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar and toss again. Move the skillet off the heat.
- Slice the steak against the grain. Divide the spinach between two plates, nestle the steak slices into the spinach, sprinkle the blue cheese on top and drizzle with the rest of the balsamic vinegar. Serve at once.