This simple recipe for Julia Child’s filet of sole pairs tender filet of sole with a lemony, butter sauce for the perfect seafood dinner.
- 4 boneless sole filets
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 8 tablespoons butter
- Juice from ½ lemon (cut the rest of the lemon into slices for garnish)
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Season the fish with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Put the flour on a plate or a pie pan and press each filet lightly into the flour on both sides.
- Put 4 tablespoons of the butter into a large skillet over medium high heat. When the butter is melted and foamy, add the filets and cook for 2 minutes.
- Using a fish spatula or other large spatula, carefully turn the filets over. Don’t use tongs – sole filets are delicate and need to be turned with a spatula. Cook for another 2 minutes and place each one on a serving plate. Cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Add the rest of the butter to the skillet, along with the lemon juice and half the parsley. Whisk until the butter is melted.
- Drizzle the sauce generously over the filets, sprinkle on the capers and the rest of the parsley, add the lemon slices as a pretty garnish and serve!