This easy recipe for chai spiced brownies transforms your usual fudgy brownie into a fudgy brownie with a little spicy attitude!
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional, see note)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Put the butter and chocolate into a pot and melt them together over low heat. Take the pot off the burner and stir in both sugars.
- Whisk in the beaten eggs, then the flour, then all the spices.
- Scrape the batter into the baking dish, smooth it out and then pop it into the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out cool.
- Cool in the pan and then cut into squares and serve them up!
Chai tea does include a pinch of black pepper – you can add this to your brownies if you are adventurous, or you can leave it out if you want a milder spice.