This recipe for velvet pasta, otherwise known as pasta al pomodoro, features a buttery tomato sauce flavored with parmesan cheese, for a silky, out of this world flavor!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can peeled tomatoes, puréed in a food processor
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Pour the olive oil into a large deep skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook the onion until it is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper and stir for one more minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes and a pinch each of salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in heavily salted water until it is about 2 minutes from being done. Scoop out a cup of pasta water and then drain.
- Stir the pasta water into the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until the pasta is done, about 2 minutes.
- Add butter and cheese and toss until cheese melts. Transfer to warm bowls and serve with more cheese, if desired. (Personally, I always desire. Just saying.) Garnish with basil, if it’s basil season.