This easy recipe for slow cooker red wine shredded pork cooks low and slow all day in a spiced wine bath for a rich and flavorful dinner. It’s the perfect cold weather comfort food!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 three pound boneless pork shoulder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ cup red wine
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with their juice
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1/2 cup flour (optional)
- 2 ounces shaved parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pour oil into heavy deep skillet and heat over medium high. Season pork on all sides with salt and pepper. Using tongs, place pork in skillet and brown for a couple of minutes on each side. Place pork in slow cooker.
- Add onions to skillet and stir until just softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add oregano, cinnamon and cumin and stir until mixed. Carefully pour in red wine and simmer for a minute or two. Pour the contents of the skillet over the pork in the slow cooker.
- Pour the tomatoes over the pork, and stir in the mustard. Give everything a stir and cover. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork and shred into bite size pieces, throwing away any fat or gristle.
- Scoop any obvious fat off the top of the tomato mixture left in the slow cooker and stir the shredded pork back in. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. If you want to thicken the sauce a little, whisk in some flour and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve over pasta, rice, grits or polenta and garnished with parmesan cheese and parsley. If you have any leftovers this also makes a great sandwich filling!