This easy recipe for Potatoes Anna calls for just three ingredients – potatoes, butter and parmesan cheese – and makes an elegant and delicious side dish!
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Using a mandoline (super carefully!) or the slicing blade on your food processor, cut the potatoes into thin slices. You want them thin enough to bend, no more than 1/4 inch thick. Don’t rinse them – you want them nice and starchy.
- Drizzle a little of the butter into a 10 inch cast iron skillet (or any 10 inch oven safe round skillet) and brush it to the edges. Now arrange your potato slices in one layer of overlapping circles. Brush with butter, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and then some parmesan cheese.
- Repeat for two more layers (see note).
- Put the skillet on the stove over high heat until you hear things start to sizzle, about 2-3 minutes, and then pop the skillet into the oven.
- Bake until the potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Let the potatoes cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the potatoes to loosen them up, then slide a spatula all the way underneath to fully loosen them from the pan.
- Place a serving plate over the skillet and flip it over so the potatoes are bottom side up on the plate.
- Cut into wedges and serve!
You can do as many as five layers of potatoes if you like, just leave it in the oven for an hour to make sure they are fully tender.