This easy recipe for pasta with grilled tomato sauce takes a whole different approach to traditional sauce by cooking up tomatoes on the grill, giving your pasta supper a sweet and smoky flavor!
- 8 plum tomatoes, cut in half length-wise
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces linguine or spaghetti
- 1 cup grated parmesan, plus more for serving
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat grill to high. Toss tomatoes with 3 tablespoons olive oil, thyme and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Starting with cut side down, grill until soft and charred on both sides, 3 minutes per side.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters or bite-sized chunks with a knife or (even easier!) your trusty kitchen shears.
- Cook pasta in heavily salted water according to package directions, and scoop out a cup of pasta water before you drain it. Return the drained pasta to the pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the parmesan and grilled tomatoes and gently toss. Drizzle in enough pasta water to make a light sauce.
- Divide among warmed plates, sprinkle with parsley and serve!
- Serve at once garnished with additional parmesan as needed.