This comfort food recipe for my grandma’s easy apple brown betty is a classic version of this homespun dessert made from apples, bread and spices. It’s the perfect fall treat!
- 4 cups bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups apples, cored and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter a casserole or baking pan (an 8×8 or similar capacity casserole will work perfectly).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large deep skillet over medium high heat. Add bread cubes and sauté until golden. Remove from heat and put toasted bread into a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, the cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg and stir.
- Mix the apples with the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and stir.
- Mix with apples with the bread mixture. Pour in the melted butter and mix again.
- Transfer the apple and bread mixture of the baking pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until apples are tender and bread is deep golden brown. Start taking a peek at it at the 40 minute mark.
- Cool slightly and serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or all on its own!