This fun and easy recipe for street corn chicken tacos combines charred corn, chicken, cheese and spicy sauce in a warm tortilla for a deliciously flavorful lunch or supper!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kernels from 4 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Juice from one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cups chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco plus extra for topping (see note)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 6 medium sized tortillas (either corn or flour, whichever you like better!)
- Lime wedges for serving
- Melt the butter over medium high heat in a large deep skillet. When it is melted and bubbling, add the corn, spreading it as much as you can into a single layer. Let it cook for about 2 minutes without stirring it (I know! So hard not to stir!) until it stars to brown. Now give it a stir and let it sit again for 2 minutes. Repeat as necessary until all your corn has a nice little char on it.
- Pour the corn into a mixing bowl and add the mayo, scallions, lime juice, chili power, cumin, cilantro or parsley, 1 cup of cheese and the cooked chicken. Give it a good stir until everything is combined. Sneak a bite.
- Warm the tortillas (I usually do this either in the microwave, or by “grilling” them with tongs right on my gas burner of the stove with the heat on low).
- Divide the corn mixture among the tortillas, sprinkle a little more cheese on top and serve with lime wedges.
Queso fresco is a mild white cheese that you can usually find in your supermarket but if you can’t, shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese will do just as well!