This fun recipe for a spiced tea cocktail takes this classic summer beverage and jazzes it up for the grown-ups by adding a splash of vodka and vermouth and some spices.
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tea bags (PG tips are my fave)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 6 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 2–3 dashes of orange bitters (optional)
- Lemon peel (also optional but very fun and picturesque)
- Combine water, sugar, ginger and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Strain the sugar mixture into a heat-proof measuring cup (hello Pyrex!) and if you have less than 2 cups, add hot water until you have two cups of liquid.
- Drop in 3 tea bags and steep for 3 minutes. Take out tea bags without squeezing them. Trust me on this.
- Put the sugar and tea mixture in the fridge until room temperature or ready to use.
- Put half the tea mixture, half the lemon juice, half the vodka, half the vermouth, a shake or two of bitters and lots of ice into a cocktail shaker and shake shake shake for about ten seconds.
- Pour over ice into two glasses and add a twist of lemon peel. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Feel very happy and refreshed.