This simple recipe for shredded chicken with sage and polenta is not only a flavorful comfort food supper, its a great way to use up leftover chicken. Tender chicken nestled in a bed of cheesy polenta in a delicious sage butter sauce – now that’s a winner, winner, chicken dinner!
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces diced fontina cheese
- 5–6 sage leaves, minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- Bring water to boil and add salt. Reduce heat to medium low and pour the cornmeal into the water in a slow constant stream, whisking all the time to prevent lumps.
- Simmer for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on consistency of cornmeal, stirring regularly, until polenta is thick and creamy
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and the fontina. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Melt remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat and stir in sage. Add chicken and stir until heated through.
- Spoon polenta onto 4 warmed plates. Top with chicken and drizzle melted sage butter over top.