This recipe for poor man’s lobster uses sweet monkfish filets and an easy tomato sauce to give the flavor of a lobster dinner at a fraction of the price!
- 1 pound boneless monkfish filet, about 1 inch thick
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with their juice
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a rimmed baking dish with nonstick foil.
- Prepare sauce: put tomatoes, their juices and 4 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Puree until smooth in a blender or with an immersion blender. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- While sauce is cooking, get the fish ready! Slice monkfish into 4 even pieces.
- Put flour into a pie pan and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Put remaining butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large skillet over medium high heat.When butter is melted and foaming, add fish and sear for 2 minutes per side.
- Place seared fish on the prepared baking sheet and roast for another 10 minutes.
- While the fish is roasting, make the breadcrumbs: put the last tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet, add the breadcrumbs and sauté until golden.
- Ladle a puddle of tomato sauce on each plate, place fish on top and drizzle with more sauce. Garnish with parsley, a little parmesan cheese and some fresh ground pepper.