This recipe for easy jerk chicken is a Carribbean specialty that marinates boneless chicken in a flavorful marinade and then grills it up to spicy perfection. It’s a fun and delicious spin on grilled chicken that gives it a scrumptious tropical flair!
I am usually not a spicy person, but I do make an exception for this tender, juicy, easy jerk chicken. Maybe because it is just spicy enough for spice cowards like me, and there is the extra added bonus that all you need to do is whirl up a quick marinade, let it soak all day, and then grill it up.
It also goes just perfectly with everything from rice to your favorite summer salad. And lately I’ve been thinking it would be fabulous with some guacamole and wrapped up in a warm tortilla for the perfect easy jerk chicken taco!
What Exactly Is Jerk Chicken And How Do You Make It?
Putting this chicken in a taco would be seriously mixing up my cuisines, since jerk chicken is a traditional Caribbean dish that involves marinating chicken in a blend of oil and spices to get a mildly spicy flavor.
Completely authentic jerk chicken includes allspice (which I did use) and either Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers (which I did not use, because they are SUPER SPICY and as I’ve mentioned, I am a spice coward).
My recipe uses garlic and ground chili pepper and ginger to get that spice in there, along with lime juice, scallions, thyme and just a little brown sugar mixed with olive oil – you are going to whirl all of this in your food processor and let the chicken have a nice, mildly spicy bath for a few hours.
When you are ready to cook dinner, fire up the grill and take the chicken out of the marinade (toss that marinade…it’s done its very important job). Grill the chicken for about 4 minutes per side or until it’s cooked through.
I like to slice up the jerk chicken, put it on a pretty platter and let folks serve themselves. I love it with coconut rice pilaf on the side, but I bet it would also be awesome with some grilled pineapple…or inside a tortilla! However you decide to serve it, just make sure it’s on your summer menu this year. :)
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
This recipe for easy jerk chicken is a Caribbean specialty that marinates boneless chicken in a flavorful marinade and then grills it up to spicy perfection.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 one inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Put olive oil, lime juice, scallions, garlic, thyme, ginger, sugar, allspice, chili powder, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until well combined. The mixture will have some bits and pieces in it – that’s okay!
- Put the chicken in a zippered plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Close the bag, pop it in the fridge and marinate it for at least 5 hours – overnight is even better!
- When you are ready to cook, crank up the grill to high. Discard marinade. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Slice it up, garnish with parsley and enjoy the spicy flavors!