Make your own version of this favorite Indian dish with this easy recipe for slow cooker butter chicken. It’s a creamy, slightly spicy supper that the whole family will love!
- One 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (you can also use sour cream if you prefer)
- One 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (see note)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Juice from one lime
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Mix the coconut milk, yogurt (or sour cream), tomato paste, onion, garlic and all those spices together. You can do this right in your slow cooker.
- Add the chicken and stir it around to coat it with the sauce.
- Cook for 8 hours on low.
- Scoop out the chicken, shred it into bite sized chunks, and put it back into the sauce and stir it around. Add the lime juice and give it another stir.
- Serve with rice (we have this with cauliflower rice!) and garnished with parsley.
Garam masala is a mixture of different spices, and it is what gives this recipe its zing. You can usually find it in the supermarket in the spice aisle or the ethnic foods aisle, but if not you can either order it by clicking here, or you can make your own by clicking here! And if you like your meals on the spicier side, add another half tablespoon or so to the recipe.