This easy summer recipe for caprese steak salad combines the classic caprese ingredients of tomato, basil and mozzarella with juicy grilled steak.
- 1 pound hanger steak
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup mozzarella, either cubes or balls, room temperature
- ½ cup basil leaves, chopped
- Prepare marinade: mix ¼ cup olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic and salt and pepper.Pour half of it into a measuring cup and set aside (this will be our dressing). Put the rest in a zippered plastic bag. Add steak and let it marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to prepare dinner, add the rest of the olive oil to a skillet (cast iron if you have it!). Heat oil over high heat for a couple of minutes and then carefully place the steak in the skillet. Cook without moving it for about 3 minutes, then turn and cook for another 3 minutes or until thermometer registers 125 for medium rare. Remove and let steak rest while you make the rest of the salad.
- Toss lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and basil together in a large bowl. Drizzle the reserved marinade over the mixture, tasting as you go so you don’t add too much.
- Slice the steak against the grain into thin slices and add to the salad bowl with any juices. Toss again.
- Grind some fresh pepper on top and serve!