This easy recipe for brown butter pasta with egg mixes the rich, nutty taste of browned butter with creamy egg to make an out of this world sauce for your pasta supper.
- 8 ounces thick ribbon pasta, such as fettuccine or pappardelle
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Save a cup of pasta water before you drain it.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a deep large skillet over medium heat. When the butter starts to foam, add the walnuts and cook, stirring often, until the butter starts to turn golden brown. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Crack eggs into butter and cook, spooning butter over yolks, until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. Transfer eggs to a plate and cover with a piece of foil to keep warm.
- Add pasta and half the walnuts to the skillet and toss until warmed through. Stir in some of the reserved pasta water to make a sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide pasta between four plates and top each serving with a fried egg. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan, chopped parsley and the rest of the walnuts.