This easy recipe for creamy macaroni and pimento cheese takes everyone’s favorite comfort food supper to whole new levels with pimento cheese!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups prepared pimento cheese (see note)
- Cook macaroni until tender in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour and whisk to combine, about one minute. Whisking constantly, add milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, whisking occasionally.
- Take off heat and stir in pimento cheese until cheese is fully melted. Add pasta and stir over medium low heat until heated through, 3-5 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes off the heat before serving.
- Ladle into warm dishes and be prepared to be asked for seconds!
You can absolutely use store-bought pimento cheese for this recipe, but if you have the time, I highly recommend making a batch of my mama’s pimento cheese – it’s the best! Click here for that recipe.