This easy recipe for bacon and egg risotto takes your favorite breakfast ingredients and turns them into a creamy comfort food supper!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine boxed variety)
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add bacon. Cook until bacon is crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add rice to the pan and stir for a minute or two. Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Now start adding the broth ½ cup at a time, letting the rice absorb each half cup of broth before you add the next one. Stir from time to time. This should take about 25-30 minutes.
- While the risotto is cooking, poach the eggs by bringing a large deep skillet of water to a simmer. Crack each egg into a small bowl, then gently slip each one into the water. Cover the skillet, move the pan to a cool burner and let the eggs sit in the water for exactly four minutes. Then scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put them on a plate.
- Back to the risotto: when the rice is cooked, stir in the butter, bacon, chopped parsley and cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide the risotto among 6 bowls and top with a poached egg, and garnish with a little more cheese and parsley. Break the egg so the yolk spreads into the risotto.
- Serve at once. Be very happy!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!