This easy recipe for bacon and egg risotto takes your favorite breakfast ingredients and turns them into a creamy comfort food supper!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine boxed variety)
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add bacon. Cook until bacon is crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add rice to the pan and stir for a minute or two. Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Now start adding the broth ½ cup at a time, letting the rice absorb each half cup of broth before you add the next one. Stir from time to time. This should take about 25-30 minutes.
- While the risotto is cooking, poach the eggs by bringing a large deep skillet of water to a simmer. Crack each egg into a small bowl, then gently slip each one into the water. Cover the skillet, move the pan to a cool burner and let the eggs sit in the water for exactly four minutes. Then scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put them on a plate.
- Back to the risotto: when the rice is cooked, stir in the butter, bacon, chopped parsley and cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide the risotto among 6 bowls and top with a poached egg, and garnish with a little more cheese and parsley. Break the egg so the yolk spreads into the risotto.
- Serve at once. Be very happy!