This recipe for easy Irish trifle is the perfect St. Patrick’s Day dessert, or for any time you want a pretty, fruit and pudding filled treat.
- One package ladyfinger cookies (see note)
- 1 cup raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 package of raspberry or strawberry gelatin, prepared according to package directions and fully set
- 1 package vanilla pudding, prepared according to package directions
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Fresh raspberries or strawberries for garnish
- Coarse pink sugar for garnish (optional)
- Cut the ladyfingers in half length-wise (or use two small slices of cake in place of each ladyfinger). Spread generously with jam and put together like a sandwich. Line a serving bowl with the sandwiches, all along the bottom and up the sides. Sprinkle with the sherry.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the set Jello into a foam. Spread the foam over the sandwiches. Spread the prepared pudding over the foam.
- Put the cream and confectioner’s sugar into a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until soft peaks form. Spread over pudding.
- Garnish with fruit and colored sugar and serve!
If you can’t find ladyfingers, then thin slices of pound cake or sponge cake will work. Cut them about 3 inches tall, 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick.