This easy recipe for creamy slow cooker chicken parmesan soup adds a secret ingredient to make this comfort food favorite even more delicious!
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups curly egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces room temperature cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Put the chicken, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, salt and pepper in a slow cooker (5 quart or larger). Cover and cook on low until the chicken is cooked and tender, about 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and turn the slow cooker heat to high. Add the egg noodles and cover. Cook for 20 more minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- While the noodles are cooking, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the bread crumbs and stir until they are golden brown. Pour them into a medium mixing bowl and let them sit until the soup is finished.
- When the noodles are tender, stir in ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese and all the cream cheese into the soup. Stir until the cream cheese is melted (Pro Tip: the smaller the chunks, the faster it will melt! And if there are a few teeny unmelted chunks no worries – it will still taste delish!). Stir in shredded chicken.
- Stir the remainder of the cheese into the bread crumbs.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle generously with the bread crumb mixture and some chopped parsley and serve!
If you want, you can cook the pasta ahead of time (or use leftover cooked pasta!) and stir it into the soup when you add the shredded chicken.