Love grilled cheese? Love breakfast sandwiches? Welcome to your new favorite sandwich, these creamy grilled egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches!
- 4 slices bread
- Mayonnaise or soft butter
- ½ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (see note)
- 2 eggs
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with mayonnaise or soft butter. Lay the pieces mayo-side-down on a cutting board or other washable surface.
- Smoosh an indentation into each piece of bread that goes to about a half inch from the crust. We are making a little well for the cheese and the egg!
- Carefully crack an egg into the little well. Divide the cheese among the two sandwiches on top of the egg.
- Top with the other two pieces of bread. Press lightly along the edges to seal it.
- Put 2 tablespoons of butter in a griddle or a large skillet over medium high heat. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the sandwiches to the griddle and cook until golden on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn them over and cook for another five minutes.
- Transfer to plates and give your lucky sandwich eaters a knife and fork for this creamy, dreamy egg sandwich!
Note: We love making our grilled cheese sandwiches of all kinds with mayo on the outside instead of butter – we find that the oil and egg in mayo gives it a nice golden crust. But if mayo on your grilled cheese sandwiches flips you out, it is totally fine to use butter!
Also, if you want a firmer egg inside, just lower the heat to medium and increase the cooking time on both sides by a few minutes.