This easy recipe for slow cooker beef barley soup is not only hearty and delicious, but it makes enough for supper and leftovers and then some!
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 cups water (see note)
- 4 packets beef boullion
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine everything but carrots and parsley in slow cooker and stir to mix. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Just before serving, put carrots in microwave-safe dish with about 1/8 cup water. Microwave for 4 minutes. Add carrots to soup with parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (I usually end up adding a bit more salt and pepper).
- Serve. And serve. And serve.
If you like, you can substitute 5 cups of beef broth for the water and the boullion.