This easy recipe for Instant Pot Tomato Barley soup is full of healthy veggies and hearty barley, and is a warm and wonderful soup that cooks up in an instant!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or almond cream (optional)
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot and press the Sauté button. Add onions and carrots and stir for 5 minutes until the onion starts to get tender. Press the Cancel button.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, barley, oregano, salt and pepper and stir. Put on the lid, make sure the vent is sealed and press the Manual button. Set the timer for 25 minutes on high pressure.
- When time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then carefully open the vent for a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Stir in sour or almond cream if using and serve!
This soup thickens up in the fridge, so if you have leftovers you can thin with chicken broth.