This easy recipe for cauliflower macaroni and cheese has all the great taste of everyone’s favorite casserole, with some healthy veggies mixed in!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar (I recommend Cabot)
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Toasted bread crumbs for garnish (optional, see note)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and simmer or steam until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook macaroni until tender in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour and whisk to combine, about one minute. Whisking constantly, add milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, whisking occasionally.
- Take off heat and stir in cheeses and one teaspoon salt until cheese is fully melted. Add pasta and stir over medium low heat until heated through, 3-5 minutes. Stir in cauliflower.
- Ladle into warm dishes and garnish with parsley and breadcrumbs if using. Do not say one word about there being any cauliflower present. Do say yes to second helpings.
I do love me some breadcrumbs on mac and cheese, so here’s my easy breadcrumb method: whirl one slice of bread into crumbs in your food processor. Drizzle a little olive oil into a small skillet, add the crumbs and stir over medium high heat until the crumbs are crisp and toasty. A sprinkle of salt and there you have it – perfect little bread crumbs!