This easy recipe for lobster shepherd’s pie gives a luxurious seafood spin to everyone’s favorite comfort food supper!
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 4 medium lobster tails, shelled and meat cut into bite-sized chunks
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place potatoes in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Mash with a potato masher or ricer and add 2 tablespoons of butter and ¼ cup half and half. Mash again and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions and stir until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and then flour. Stir in clam juice, Old Bay and remaining half and half and simmer until thickened. Stir in lobster meat.
- Transfer the lobster mixture to a shallow baking dish. Spread the mashed potato mixture on top and bake for 30 minutes. If you want the top a little browned, switch the oven to broil for the last few minutes, watching carefully.
- Ladle into soup bowls or rimmed plates and serve!