Tender beef meets Caesar salad in this easy, dramatic and elegant filet mignon carpaccio salad appetizer.
- 1 round 6 ounce beef filet mignon
- 4 eggs
- 12 small romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the filet length-wise into 4 rounds. Put each round in between two pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap and pound until it is paper thin. Put each round on a separate plate and pop them in the fridge while you finish the rest of the recipe.
- Make dressing by putting the cheese, mustard, olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a jar and shaking vigorously. Set aside.
- Poach the eggs (click here for my foolproof method!)
- Assemble as follows: Drizzle the beef rounds with a little dressing, top with lettuce leaves and capers, drizzle on a little more dressing. Top each plate with a poached egg and garnish with a little more parmesan. Serve at once.
You can use bottled Caesar dressing if you want to skip making the dressing, or if you want to be super-minimalist and let the taste of the beef and egg rule the day, just use a drizzle of olive oil with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.