This easy recipe for shrimp and sausage with grits adds some extra spice and flavor to this classic Southern supper favorite. Perfect for brunch too!
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage chopped into bite sized pieces (see note)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Cook grits according to package directions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While grits are cooking, line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil. Toss tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and broil them in the oven until they are just getting browned, about 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until heated through and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Scoop out the sausage and set aside.
- Add half of the chopped scallions to the skillet and stir. Stir in flour and then whisk in broth and cream. Stir until the sauce starts to thicken up, 2-13 minutes or so.
- Add shrimp and and sausage and stir until the shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle some grits onto each plate and top with shrimp, sausage and tomatoes. Sprinkle with the rest of the scallions and serve!
Andouille sausage is spicy, so if you want a milder version of this recipe, you can use kielbasa sausage which has a gentler taste.