This easy recipe for savory parmesan french toast turns this sweet breakfast favorite into a cheesy, hearty, bacon filled treat that is also perfect for supper!
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 8 slices soft bread (Pullman bread works great in this recipe!)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200 (this is to keep the ingredients warm while you assemble the various parts of your glorious french toast).
- Whisk together 4 eggs, the milk and 1 cup of the parmesan cheese. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 casserole. Place the bread slices in a single layer in the casserole and let it soak up the egg mixture, turning a time or two.
- While the bread is soaking, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat until done to your liking. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels, popping it into the oven to keep warm. Leave drippings in pan.
- Fry the soaked bread in the bacon drippings over medium high heat until golden on both sides. Put on a plate or cookie sheet and pop it in the oven to keep warm.
- Fry the remaining 4 eggs in the same skillet until done to your liking.
- Assemble your savory french toast! Place a piece of fried bread on each plate, top with an egg and put some bacon on the side. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, parsley and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and serve at once.
I served this up with a little sautéed spinach on the side and it was the perfect accompaniment!