This easy recipe for savory parmesan French toast turns this sweet breakfast favorite into a cheesy, hearty, bacon filled treat that is also perfect for supper! After all, what could be better than eating French toast at all times of day?
I have a life-long love affair going on with French toast, and it’s one that I have passed along to my Southern daughter with my easy peasy regular French toast recipe. But (you know me) I am also always up for shaking up old favorites, and so I present to you a version that is savory instead of sweet. The milk and eggs and bread are all there, but I’ve added in bacon and cheese for that savory taste, and a little balsamic vinegar instead of maple syrup.
So, ready to shake up your French toast? Let’s make it!
This recipe comes together in parts, and all of them are super easy but you are going to want to keep everything warm while you put the parts together. So turn your oven on to a low 200 degrees before you start.
You begin by soaking up some soft bread in a mixture of eggs and milk and parmesan cheese. Let that soak while you fry up some bacon, which you are going to pop into your warm oven while you fry up the soaked bread in the bacon drippings. I KNOW.
This easy recipe for savory parmesan french toast turns this sweet breakfast favorite into a cheesy, hearty, bacon filled treat that is also perfect for supper!Once the bread is fried, put it in the oven alongside the bacon to keep warm while you fry up a few more eggs in the same skillet. These are going to go on top of the fried bread. I KNOW!
All you have to do now is assemble, by putting the bread on plates surrounded by the bacon. Lay a fried egg on top of the bread, and sprinkle with more cheese, some parsley and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I added some sautéed baby spinach on the side to get a veggie in there. Now dig into that deliciousness.
I know, I know, I KNOW!
I’ll let you go run to your kitchen as quickly as possible to try this new spin on French toast, and by the way? This is an amazing and easy holiday brunch recipe, if you are looking for that sort of thing these days. Happy savory French toast, and if you have any other spins on French toast, tell me in the comments!Print
This easy recipe for savory parmesan french toast turns this sweet breakfast favorite into a cheesy, hearty, bacon filled treat that is also perfect for supper!
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 8 slices soft bread (Pullman bread works great in this recipe!)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200 (this is to keep the ingredients warm while you assemble the various parts of your glorious french toast).
- Whisk together 4 eggs, the milk and 1 cup of the parmesan cheese. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 casserole. Place the bread slices in a single layer in the casserole and let it soak up the egg mixture, turning a time or two.
- While the bread is soaking, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat until done to your liking. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels, popping it into the oven to keep warm. Leave drippings in pan.
- Fry the soaked bread in the bacon drippings over medium high heat until golden on both sides. Put on a plate or cookie sheet and pop it in the oven to keep warm.
- Fry the remaining 4 eggs in the same skillet until done to your liking.
- Assemble your savory french toast! Place a piece of fried bread on each plate, top with an egg and put some bacon on the side. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, parsley and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and serve at once.
I served this up with a little sautéed spinach on the side and it was the perfect accompaniment!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!