Looking for easy, dreamy creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese that doesn’t require any time in the oven? Here’s your recipe! (And your kids’ favorite.)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar (I recommend Cabot)
- Cook macaroni until tender in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour and whisk to combine, about one minute. Whisking constantly, add milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, whisking occasionally.
- Take off heat and stir in cheeses and one teaspoon salt until cheese is fully melted. Add pasta and stir over medium low heat until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Ladle into warm dishes and watch the faces light up in happiness.