This classic dish of bread with melted cheese (also known as Welsh Rabbit) gets a flavor boost with this easy recipe for tomato bacon Welsh Rarebit!
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 10 slices cooked bacon
- 10 thick tomato slices
- 5 slices bread, lightly toasted
- chopped parsley
- Heat milk in a small saucepan. Melt 1/4 cup butter in another saucepan, stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk hot milk into flour mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, beer, tomato paste, Worcestershire and mustard and stir constantly over low heat until cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread remaining butter on bread and place on broiler-proof pan or cookie sheet. Top bread with bacon, then tomato. Pour 1/2 cup cheese sauce over each bread slice. Broil until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish each with chopped parsley and serve, assuring diners that there are no bunnies involved.