Up your breakfast game with this easy recipe for lemon avocado toast with poached egg, the perfect healthy combo of delicious flavors! All the protein from that creamy poached egg, all the healthy fat from that buttery avocado, with a sparkly lemon taste and some crunchy toast – can you say breakfast heaven?
I know, you are probably thinking does the world really need another recipe for avocado toast? Well, since avocados and toast are two of my very favorites, I wasn’t going to sit back and let the avocado toast world pass me by, but I wanted to add something special to the mix, and so I present to you my current breakfast crush: lemon avocado toast with poached egg.
Creamy, dreamy, healthy, easy breakfast (or lunch!) deliciousness. Let’s make it!
You start out by making avocado toast the way you usually do…mashing up some avocado to spread on your favorite toasted bread. In this version, I’m mashing it with some lemon juice though, to give it just a hint of that tart sparkle you get from guacamole. And I’m saving the zest from that lemon for later!
Up your breakfast game with this easy recipe for lemon avocado toast with poached egg, the perfect healthy combo of delicious flavors!And next, I am making a perfect poached egg to place on top.
A while back, the only way I knew how to get a poached egg was to show up at my mama’s doorstep with pleading please-make-me-a-poached-egg eyes. But then I set out on a mission to figure out an easy, perfect-every-time poached egg making method AND I FIGURED IT OUT. So click here for that miraculous poached egg recipe, and I promise that you will immediately be able to make your own perfect poached egg to go on top of your perfect lemon avocado toast with poached egg.
Now all that’s left to do is sprinkle your wonderful avocado toast creation with that lemon zest, and I like to fling a few sesame seeds on it as well, and cut into that egg…
…and aaaaaahhhhhhh. Do you have any other amazing avocado toast variations that I need to know about? Tell me in the comments!
Up your breakfast game with this easy recipe for lemon avocado toast with poached egg, the perfect healthy combo of delicious flavors!
- 2 slices bread, lightly toasted
- 1 avocado, pit and peel removed
- Juice and zest from one small lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Mash the avocado with a fork or a potato masher until it is the consistency you like (I like mine with a few little chunks!) Drizzle on the lemon juice and mix together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Poach the eggs: bring a deep skillet or pot of water to a simmer, and slip in two eggs. Turn off the heat (yes, all the way off), cover the pot and let it sit for exactly 4 minutes. (See note for a step by step link to perfectly poaching an egg – it is SO easy!)
- While the eggs are poaching, slather the toast with the avocado mixture.
- When the eggs have sat for 4 minutes, scoop them out with a slotted spoon and lay them on top of the avocado toast. Sprinkle with lemon zest and sesame seeds and serve at once.
Click here for the easy (I promise!) way to perfectly poach an egg!)