This easy roasted carrot soup recipe is a snap to make, and makes the perfect warm and cozy light lunch or supper for chilly fall evenings.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch pieces (or equal amount of baby carrots)
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes
- Chicken or vegetable broth for thinning, if needed
- Fresh herbs for garnish (optional but pretty!)
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Put the carrots, onion and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Add oil and toss. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and toss again. Spread the whole lovely mixture out on your baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, stirring it up a few times.
- Let the roasted veggies cool down and then add half to your blender with one can of tomatoes (juice and all) and puree until smooth. Pour that into a big pot and puree the other half with the other can of tomatoes and add that batch to the pot too.
- Turn the heat on to medium high and simmer for 10 minutes. If the soup is too thick for your liking, you can thin it out with a little chicken or vegetable broth.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed, ladle into bowls, garnish with fresh herbs if you have any handy and serve!