This easy breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches recipe features bacon, eggs and cheese, but in a delicious grilled cheese sandwich format. Perfect for lunch too!
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 slices soft bread (we love Pullman bread for these sandwiches)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (more or less!)
- 4 slices American cheese
- Cook bacon on griddle or in large skillet on medium high heat until done to your liking. Remove and drain on paper towels, leaving drippings in pan.
- Put eggs in a mixing bowl with a pinch of pepper and whisk until well beaten. Keeping the heat on medium high, pour the eggs onto the griddle or skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until just set. Remove to a clean mixing bowl and stir in cream cheese.
- Spread the mayo on the one side of each of the pieces of bread (see note!) and place two pieces of bread mayo side down on a clean cutting board. Place one slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Top with half of the egg mixture on each sandwich, then two bacon halves, then the other slice of American cheese. Place the other two piece of bread mayo side up on each sandwich (so the mayo sides are on the outside of the sandwich. I promise this will work out great.)
- Keeping that skillet or griddle on medium high, place both sandwiches on the griddle and cook until the first side is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip carefully and cook on the other side until golden.
- Return to cutting board, cut each sandwich in half and serve. Realize that breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches are all kinds of heavenly.
Mayonnaise is basically eggs and oil, so by using mayo instead of butter on the outside of your breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches you are getting the oil you would normally get from butter, along with a little extra egg flavor. Still not convinced? It is A-OK to use butter instead of mayo. :)