This easy breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches recipe features bacon, eggs and cheese, but in a delicious grilled cheese sandwich format. Perfect for lunch too! Because who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese at any time of day – can you say, midnight snack?
I am helpless in the face of a good breakfast sandwich, and also helpless in the face of a good grilled cheese sandwich, and you’d think that would be reason enough for me to figure out a way to put both of them together in a best-of-both-worlds breakfast grilled cheese sandwich. And yes, it was all I hoped and dreamed it would be. But there was another, even more important reason, and it’s all about friends. Ready to hear the reason, and to rock your breakfast world? Let’s make it!
Every year around this time a bunch of us gather at our friends Janet and Bruce’s lovely, peaceful home in rural Connecticut. We cook dinner together, we sing loudly to our favorite songs, we stay outside talking and catching up until it’s dark out, and we take the kind of naps you take on warm lazy afternoons. We also go on fun outings, which this year included the absolutely lovely Miranda Winery in Goshen, Connecticut.
We brought cheese and crackers and cheese and nuts and cheese and fruit and cheese and hummus and cheese and veggies and cheese. We tasted the lovely wines and picked out a few and then dug in.
You know you are having a grand old time at the wine tasting part when you are all looking happily in different directions. That’s a fact!
And as if a cheese-laden wine-tasting picnic wasn’t glorious enough, THEN we went to Milk House Chocolates at nearby Thornwood Farm.
That sign? TRUTH. But before we got to the chocolate store where I spent a good portion of the Southern daughter’s wedding fund on chocolate (only kidding, honey!) we visited the cows who make the milk that goes into the chocolate, and got to meet this sweet pea.
I can’t even. We asked the farmer where her mama was and he pointed her out and mentioned that her name was Kate. So we bonded a little, as Kates do.
What does all this have to do with a breakfast grilled cheese sandwich, you are wondering? Well, a KEY part of these weekends is breakfast, which is always a delectable affair prepared by our Supreme Breakfast Chef, otherwise known as Bruce. While Bruce was cooking us breakfast we got to talking about breakfast sandwiches (Bruce makes fabulous ones of those) and I remembered I had a video in the post of my own version of a breakfast sandwich. So I played it.
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”pt2tnpgN” upload-date=”2018-04-27T19:57:54.000Z” name=”The Best Breakfast Sandwich” description=”Looking for the perfect bacon egg and cheese on an English Muffin? Here is a recipe for the best breakfast sandwich! Melty cheese, crispy bacon, creamy egg, with a little spinach tucked in for good measure (and don’t worry, the spinach is optional!) Who’s hungry?”]
And my sweet Janet watched it happily until the part at the end where the creamy egg yolk came out, and I remembered that Janet is one of those very special people who only like their eggs scrambled. I KNOW. I love her to pieces anyway.
This easy breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches recipe features bacon, eggs and cheese, but in a delicious grilled cheese sandwich format. Perfect for lunch too!So this is my newest breakfast sandwich, which features bacon and cheese and soft scrambled eggs with a little cream cheese, all grilled to golden deliciousness, all for you and especially for my friend Janet, lover of scrambled eggs and one of the best people I know.
Because for me, that’s the very VERY best part of all these cooking shenanigans…doing it with friends!Print
This easy breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches recipe features bacon, eggs and cheese, but in a delicious grilled cheese sandwich format. Perfect for lunch too!
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 slices soft bread (we love Pullman bread for these sandwiches)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (more or less!)
- 4 slices American cheese
- Cook bacon on griddle or in large skillet on medium high heat until done to your liking. Remove and drain on paper towels, leaving drippings in pan.
- Put eggs in a mixing bowl with a pinch of pepper and whisk until well beaten. Keeping the heat on medium high, pour the eggs onto the griddle or skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until just set. Remove to a clean mixing bowl and stir in cream cheese.
- Spread the mayo on the one side of each of the pieces of bread (see note!) and place two pieces of bread mayo side down on a clean cutting board. Place one slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Top with half of the egg mixture on each sandwich, then two bacon halves, then the other slice of American cheese. Place the other two piece of bread mayo side up on each sandwich (so the mayo sides are on the outside of the sandwich. I promise this will work out great.)
- Keeping that skillet or griddle on medium high, place both sandwiches on the griddle and cook until the first side is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip carefully and cook on the other side until golden.
- Return to cutting board, cut each sandwich in half and serve. Realize that breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches are all kinds of heavenly.
Mayonnaise is basically eggs and oil, so by using mayo instead of butter on the outside of your breakfast grilled cheese sandwiches you are getting the oil you would normally get from butter, along with a little extra egg flavor. Still not convinced? It is A-OK to use butter instead of mayo. :)
Still Hungry? Click on the titles of these delicious recipes!
Super Easy Dutch Baby Pancake from I Wash You Dry
The Perfect Egg Sandwich Recipe from Fresh Eggs Daily
Apple Pie Grilled Cheese from Eats Well With Others
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!