This easy recipe for baked sweet onions with breadcrumbs and brie combines savory crispy breadcrumbs with creamy cheese, all inside a sweet tender Vidalia onion. It’s a showstopper of a first course or side dish!
- 4 large sweet onions (we love Vidalia onions for this recipe!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 4 ounces torn Brie cheese (and it’s fine to leave the rind on!)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the stem off of each onion and peel off the outside layer. Using a spoon and/or a paring knife, carefully spoon out the center of each onion, making sure you leave a couple of layers on the outside.
- Place the onions into an 8 inch square baking dish, drizzle a little olive oil side each one and rub it around. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the onions are baking, prepare the stuffing. Chop up a couple of tablespoons of the insides you have just scooped out. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet, heat it up over medium high heat, add the chopped onion and sauté until the chopped onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the skillet and stir until they are golden brown.
- Put the breadcrumb mixture in a bowl and add the fresh thyme, the torn Brie cheese and a pinch each of salt and pepper. When the onions have baked for 30 minutes, carefully remove them from the oven, take off the foil and divide the mixture between the four scooped out onions.
- Pour the wine around the side of the onions, cover them with foil again and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly, remove carefully with a spatula and serve!