This easy recipe for chicken caprese salad takes the classic mozzarella, tomato and lettuce salad and adds grilled chicken and a balsamic dressing!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small head of romaine or green leafy lettuce, washed and torn into pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup of mozzarella balls (knows as bocconcini) or regular mozzarella cut in cubes. The best you can find!
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Save 1/4 cup of it for the dressing and pour the rest into a zippered plastic bag. Add the chicken, seal the bag, turn it around a few times to coat the chicken and let it marinate in the fridge for a few hours. At least one hour, but all day is fine!
- Heat the grill to high. Grill the chicken (discarding the marinade in the bag) for 4 minutes per side. Remove and let sit for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken is resting, combine the lettuce, tomatoes and cheese in a large bowl. Drizzle with most of the reserved dressing, tasting as you go to make sure you don’t overdress it. Save a little dressing for the chicken.
- Slice the chicken and divide the lettuce mixture among 4 plates. Top with sliced chicken and basil, drizzle the remaining dressing on the chicken and serve!