- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (either light or dark is just fine)
- 2 large ripe peaches, sliced into about 12 wedges each
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- Preheat oven to 350 and spread the softened butter all over the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Spread the brown sugar over the bottom of the pan, and then put the peach wedges in a single layer across the sugar, covering the full bottom of the pan.
- Mix together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together the vegetable oil, vanilla, buttermilk and eggs. Pour this egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until well combined. Now pour the batter evenly over your sliced peaches.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake is set (a toothpick stuck into the center should come out clean).
- Let the cake cool for about ten minutes, and then slide a knife around the edges to loosen it. Let it cool completely.
- Now! Here comes the exciting part. Place a serving dish over the top of the baking dish and carefully flip it over so the cake comes out peach side up.
- Cut into squares, and I won’t tell anyone if you serve it up with some vanilla ice cream on top of each piece!