- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (your choices as to whether or not to peel them – I usually don’t!)
- 4 slices thick cut bacon. Or more. Be as bacon-y as you like!
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup half and half, warmed or at room temperature
- Cut the potatoes in quarters and put them in a large pot of cool salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until a knife goes into the potatoes easily, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Add the butter to the drained potatoes and mash with a potato masher (my favorite method), a potato ricer or a food mill. Whatever you do, I beg you not to mash them with a food processor.
- Now add the half and half and mash again.
- Stir in the bacon and taste. It will probably be salty enough with the bacon, but you can add a pinch or two of salt if you like.
- Serve at once!