Take your regular mashed potato recipe to potato heaven by adding bacon! This easy recipe for smashed bacon potatoes is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, or really any day. Because, bacon!
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (your choices as to whether or not to peel them – I usually don’t!)
- 4 slices thick cut bacon. Or more. Be as bacon-y as you like!
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup half and half, warmed or at room temperature
- Cut the potatoes in quarters and put them in a large pot of cool salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until a knife goes into the potatoes easily, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Add the butter to the drained potatoes and mash with a potato masher (my favorite method), a potato ricer or a food mill. Whatever you do, I beg you not to mash them with a food processor.
- Now add the half and half and mash again.
- Stir in the bacon and taste. It will probably be salty enough with the bacon, but you can add a pinch or two of salt if you like.
- Serve at once!