This easy recipe for slow cooker chicken potato soup is packed with veggies and is a snap to make in your trusty Crockpot. And there’s nothing better than coming home and realizing that dinner is already made, right?
Ah, this chicken soup! It has so many things going for it, not the least of which is that it cooks up low and slow all day long in your slow cooker, which means that you will walk in to your kitchen at the end of the day and it will dawn on you that yes, dinner is pretty much almost made. Along with that, it’s packed with carrots and celery and sweet onion and potatoes, so not only is it scrumptious and super easy, it’s also good and good for you. It’s the soup that keeps on giving. Let’s make it!
This really is one of those dreamy recipes that starts with dumping all the ingredients into the slow cooker, pressing the Low button and walking away for 8 hours. After that, you have a decision to make.
You start by scooping out the chicken (use a spoon because I promise you that it is going to be falling apart tender at this point) and shredding it up into, well, shreds. Now comes the decision part – you can add it back in to the soup, give everything a nice stir, and then serve it up.This easy recipe for slow cooker chicken potato soup is packed with veggies and is a snap to make in your trusty Crockpot. #recipeClick To TweetOR. You can do what I do, which is use your handy immersion blender to give just a little bit of a puree to the soup before you add the chicken back in. (And if you don’t have an immersion blender, which I heartily urge you to have because it is so wonderful for so many things) you can scoop out a cup or two of the soup and blend it in your regular blender and then pour it back in.
Now add the chicken to your partially pureed soup and stir it up. What this extra step does is give the soup a nice creamy texture – without a drop of cream mind you – along with the remaining chunks of veggies. Magic.
So go find that slow cooker that I know you have somewhere and give this one a whirl!Print
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into slices
- 4 large boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon each of dried sage, oregano and thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients except salt and pepper in the slow cooker. Add a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and stir.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred into bite-sized pieces and set aside,
- Remove 2 cups of the soup, puree in the blender and return to the slow cooker (or use an immersion blender to partially puree the soup right in the slow cooker) – this makes it nice and creamy.
- Add the shredded chicken, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed and serve!