Everyone’s favorite soup can be on the table even faster with this easy pressure cooker recipe for Instant Pot beef barley soup. Hearty and delicious, it makes the perfect comfort food lunch or supper!
I truly thought my beef barley soup work was done forever with my beloved slow cooker version that I have been making for years and years. That, however, was before I got my mitts on my Instant Pot, and after having made glorious beef stew and scrumptious barbecue, visions of an Instant Pot version of beef barley soup started dancing in my head.
And I realized that while some days it would be fine to let my beef barley soup cook all day in the slow cooker, there were going to be days when I wanted my soup and I wanted it NOW. Or at least, within the hour. And so I present my newest beef barley soup crush: Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup. Let’s make it!
This one has most of the same ingredients of the original with a few additions and changes just to keep things interesting. First of all, since the Instant Pot has a nifty sauté feature, I like to give the beef a little browning before I toss in everything else. You can do this or not – I think it adds a little extra flavor.Everyone's favorite soup can be on the table even faster with this easy pressure cooker recipe for Instant Pot beef barley soup. Hearty and delicious, it makes the perfect comfort food lunch or supper! #InstantPotClick To TweetNext, the liquid in this one is a mixture of a little red wine and a lot of chicken broth? Why chicken broth in beef soup, you may ask? It’s so that the flavor of the beef and the veggies and the barley shine through…I tend to find beef broth a little bossy in terms of flavor. You need some carrots and some celery and some sweet onion and some pearled barley (what is pearled barley? My buddies at The Kitchn explain all here) and a few other things, all of which you are going to pour into your Instant Pot.
Set it for 30 minutes of high pressure and after the pressure is released, you are the proud owner of thick, hearty, delicious Instant Pot beef barley soup.
Barley is a magical soup thickener, and if the soup is too thick for you (which never happens to me but I am a thick soup lover) you can thin it out with a little warmed chicken broth. Ladle it into your favorite favorite bowl (Peter Rabbit, for me) and you are in beef barley soup heaven. Happiness!Print
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3/4 cup pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Press the Saute button on your Instant Pot and add the canola oil. When the oil is hot, brown the beef chunks (you may have to do this in batches).
- Add the wine to the pot and stir to scrape up any bits of beef that are sticking to the pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper and stir. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and stir again.
- Press the Cancel button, put the lid on the Instant Pot and lock into place, making sure the venting knob is in the sealed position. Press Manual and set the time to 30 minutes at High Pressure.
- When 30 minutes is up, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the venting knob to open until the rest of the pressure is released. Open the lid, stir and add more salt if needed.
- Serve in your favorite bowl!